Sunset

Sunset
Sunset on Pensacola Beach

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Recipe book

I have mentioned before my friend Nicole's recipe book.  It is chuck full of recipes from family and friends and recipes that she has found herself through the years.   I LOVED it!  So my Mother and I did it also.  My friend Kathy in Clearwater loved the idea and she and her Mother put  one together. I was telling my Aunt Sandy about it and she would like to put one together also.  So here we go!

1.  Go to Walmart and pick up a 3 ring binder.  The kind that has a clear sleeve over the front so you can put your own book cover on it.  This is temporary for us.  I plan on making something much cuter with scrapbook paper later.




2.   Also get a box of plastic inserts with the wholes already punched and a glue stick.  Place them in the book.  These plastic sleeves are great.   You can take a recipe out - open the three ring binder clips - and if it gets dirty, just wipe it off!  Back in it goes when finished.

3   You also need tabs.  Enough for the categories you would like to divide your recipes into.....
    desserts
     casseroles
     drinks
     appetizers
     meats
     vegetables
     and more and more.....


 4.    You are ready to begin  placing your recipes in your book.  When putting a recipe in a sleeve, put a few dabs of glue on the back.  Otherwise, (take my word for it) they will slide around and come out.  

5.  If I have recipes in the original handwriting of the relative or friend, it love to put those into our book.   It is a memory book as well as a recipe book.    And remember, make it as fancy as you like.   I will be finding scrapbook paper for the cover and for each other the category pages. 
  Here are some examples of a few of Mom's and my collection:


    How about some of my Grandma Ronschke's Coconut Frosting on a white cake.

 My friend Nicole made this when we were over for dinner.  Oh my gosh!   So good!

Candy Bex is my .......hmmmm.....cousin in law?   2nd cousin?   It does not matter - she is family! and almost every year has a recipe in her Christmas letter.   I look forward to that recipe Candy!

This is my Grandma Kaiser's famous Swedish Meat.  My Dad's favorite meal and probably mine also.  


This is a recipe for margarita's that Aunt Clarice sent to my Dad.  They enjoyed these - way too many I think - when visiting my Uncle Bob and Aunt Sandy in Florida.


When my youngest brother was in kindergarten, they teacher had them make the Chocolate Porcupines and then sent the recipe home with the children.  These are Goooood!


My Aunt Sandy makes these and has thought about selling them.  Oh my gosh, good is not the word for the rum soaked delights.


Candy's Mom, Noni, makes these wonderful nut rolls.  I am so lucky to have this recipe.




I would suggest having a section for new items offered at the grocery store that you can't live without.  It is easy for me to want to pick up an item recommended by a friend and can't remember the name of it.   My friend Kelly was here last week....miss you Kelly..... and brought the Barefoot Moscato wine.  I loved it!   It is all gone. and she also had the Heluva Good French Onion Dip.  This is a keeper also.




Pina Colada Cake
 1pkg  2 layer size white cake mix
1pkg 4 serv. size jello-s coconut cream instant pudding and pie filling
4 eggs
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. dark rum  (80 proof)
1/4 c. wesson oil

Frosting:
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple in juice
1 pkg (4 serving size) jello- coconut cream inst. pudding
1/2 c. dark rum
1 9oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 c. flaked coconut

Blend all ingredients in large bowl.  Beat 4 minutes at med speed with mixer.  Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" layer pans.  
Bake at 350 degrees for 26 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed. Do not  under bake!!
Cool in pan 15 minutes.
Remove and cool on racks.
Fill and frost.  sprinkle with coconut.   CHILL.  (Not you, the cake!)
Refrig. leftover cake.

For frosting, combine all ingredients except whipped topping in a bowl.
Beat until well blended.
Fold in thawed whipped topping.

I have had this and it is wonderful.  I am confused about the "fill and frost" Sandy.   I get the frost but what do you mean fill????


My next blog I will give Sandy's recipe for Chocolate Pudding Dessert or as she calls it......Better than Robert Redford.

  Take care everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment